Sunday, January 27, 2013

Dan Feuerriegel...AKA Agron

Being an ardent watcher of the series Spartacus, which began it's 4th and final season on Starz last Friday night, I have to admit I've been swept up in the Agron/Nasir romance.
Truthfully tho, I found Dan hawt well before it was apparent he was gay.
There's an interview with Dan at the Advocate if anyone's interested, for those too lazy to look, here's some excerpts from the interview:



When did you first find out your character was interested in men?
I knew from the very beginning. But I was told they weren’t going to pursue a romantic storyline in the first season because they needed to wrap other things up. First, they wanted to focus on the storyline of Agron and his brother because that filters into the second season. The loss of brothers is how he and Nasir initially connect. Because I’ve known for a while, I’ve thrown in a few sneaky things here and there and had a few lines that I guess the most astute observer would get and say, “Hey, wait a minute. There’s something there.” But other than that it wasn’t until the second season that it was absolutely clear and right in front of your face.

What was your reaction when you found out you’d be playing a gay gladiator?
It didn’t make any difference to me. I would have played him the exact same way whether he was interested in women or men. His personality wouldn’t change. They just wanted me to make him really fierce and a hardass, but then open up and have a soft, sensual side when he’s alone with the people he loves. His sexuality doesn’t change that as far as I’m aware.

Agron and Nasir’s relationship is much more than physical — they obviously have a deep emotional connection as well.
Yeah, it’s great! I would’ve been disappointed if all they cared about was two guys having sex and keeping their relationship purely physical. I think that would’ve been disrespectful. I love the fact that there was a deeper element. It was fun to play and to access those deeper emotions. I guess the best part of their relationship is that the audience got to see it from the very beginning and it’s carried all the way through to this season. It shows that love is everywhere. Regardless of who you are or who you like, love is love.

Sadly, gay characters have a history of being killed off in TV and film. Is there any chance that Agron or Nasir might survive the bloody end that looms ahead for Spartacus and his crew?
Well, Agron and Nasir aren’t actually characters from history, so their fates could be anything. That’s not a yes or a no, but you’ll just have to wait and see.










No comments: